Our university, whose historical background dates back to 1883, was named as “Marmara University” on 20, July, 1982. In compliance with the Law no. 2809, passed on 28, March, 1983, some educational institutions located in İstanbul including İstanbul School of Foreign Languages joined Marmara University. Our school, which directly reported to the Rectorate as the Department of Foreign Languages until 1, March, 2006, gained the status of Marmara University, School of Foreign Languages (MU-YADYO) as of that date.
Until 2008, the Department of Translation and Interpreting, offering degree programs in English, German and French, functioned within the School of Foreign Languages, which currently provides obligatory and preparatory language courses. Our academic staff also teaches the language courses offered by MÜSEM. A group of post-graduate students who will continue their academic studies abroad on the scholarship granted by the T.R. Ministry of Education also receive foreign language education in our school. In the near future, young academicians who will continue their post-graduate studies abroad with the support of YÖK (The Higher Council of Education) will receive training in our school within the context of the same program.